When we decided to open a cleaning business, we knew right from the start we want to offer safe and environment friendly services. But we had no idea how bad situation really is and how toxic most of our favorite cleaning products really are!
Yes, some of them cut the grime exceptionally well, but after further research we found out that natural plant-based product can be as effective - and without any dangerous side effects. Lets talk about at least some dangerous substances present in your trusted cleaning concentrates...
In most cases, natural, plant based products can be as effective as their store-bought alternatives. Lemon juice, vinegar or baking soda can be powerful ally in our fight against dirt and grime.
Of the most popular store-bought cleaners on the market, majority of these products is rated an F (the worst score) by the Environmental Working Group. An F rating means that product contains significant hazards to health and the environment or manufacture don't disclose full ingredients list of the product. No wonder that these cleaners contain extremely toxic ingredients. Lets mention some of the worst offenders:
Butoxydiglycol: Chemical with evidence of cancer, respiratory harm and development effects. In addition to pulmonary and respiratory harm, this chemical also causes serious eye irritation and is riddled with impurities that are known to also cause genetic defects .
Ammonium Chloride: There are a lot of different versions of ammonium chloride in commercial cleaning products. According to EPA this substance poses a high risk for human health. It causes asthma in otherwise healthy people and reproductive toxicity in animals.
Glycol Ether: Substances present in many window cleaners can negatively effect reproductive hormones, fertility and fetal development. Its also dangerous to inhale or touch our skin. Other dangers include general organ defects, cancer, damage to DNA, respiratory effects, nervous system effects, digestive system effects, skin irritation, allergies and damage to vision.
Sodium Borate: Asthmagen. It also have a high risk for damaging fertility , harming the unborn child with clear evidence of endocrine disruption. It also causes dermatitis, respiratory irritation and allergies.
Hydrochloric Acid: This dangerous chemical cause severe skin burns and eye damage. If inhaled it can cause pulmonary edema, asthma, skin irritation and eye corrosion.
Ammonium Hydroxide: It causes skin irritation, respiratory damage, allergies and also vision problems.
Fragrance: Asthmagen and hormone disruptor causing skin irritations and allergies.
As you can see, this list is very worrying and that's why we make sure none of these substances are present in products we use to guarantee safety and overall health of every cleaned home. In most cases, natural plant based products can be as effective as their store-bought alternatives. Even something as simple as lemon juice, vinegar or baking soda can be powerful ally in our fight against dirt and grime.